What do I do if I have an accident?
- STOP! Failure to stop can result in serious criminal consequences.
- Call 911. Relay any information about location and possible injuries.
- Render aid.
- Protect the scene from further damage.
- Gather information and write it down.
- It’s important to gather the other driver’s name and contact information, the names and contact information of any witnesses, and the other driver’s insurance information.
- Be careful what you say. Even if you feel you might be at fault, it is best to make no statements to anyone about who caused the accident. Certainly, you should cooperate with the police and answer any questions about what occurred. You may learn later that the other driver was equally or even more so at fault.
- See a doctor if injured.
- Inform your insurance company promptly.
What do I do if I have been hit by a hit-and-run driver?
- First, determine if there are any injuries and, if there are, contact 911 for emergency medical assistance.
- Contact the police department immediately to file a police report.
- Contact your insurance carrier to make report of the incident.
- Make sure to follow up with the police department and provide them with any information they need.